15 Inspirational Quotes By T. C. Boyle
Posted on Fri Mar 09, 2018
Posted by Admin
1. It’s hard to say how certain stories just punch us in the heart and the brain at the same time at the end. I suppose that’s what we’re all looking for. But each story has its own valence, its own way of saying goodbye to you.
2. Life is tragic and absurd, and none of it has any purpose at all.
3. It’s true that none of my characters are admirable. But maybe I’m primarily a satirist, and a satirist needs to hold up what’s not admirable.
4. I am mad for nature writing. I want to get inside the head of every creature in the world, even ants.
5. The compulsively readable events of my life occurred mainly in infancy, and it’s been pretty humdrum ever since.
6. The novel is a seduction; a reader has to be seduced.
7. I really like the power of stopping the laughter and turning it to horror.
8. I never go anywhere without a book for fear of being stuck in line in front of the theater or strapped down in the dentist’s chair and being bored witless. Thus, I read everywhere.
9. You want, as an artist, to be pushing yourself to do what you haven’t done before.
10. What higher art does is to invite us in and allow us to make decisions.
11. I’m just kind of fascinated by how we can deny that we are animals and what our impact on the other animals is like, and how quixotic we can be in trying to assess what we’ve done in trying to correct it.
12. I am a worrier. I worry about the state of our country, of the world, of our species. Every day seems to deliver a new nail to hammer into our collective coffin.
13. I read widely – for news, the arts, science, for entertainment, and the value of being informed – and, as a fiction writer, I can’t help transposing what I learn into the scenario for a novel or story.
14. Sometimes, we find common ground; more often, we don’t.
15. Now that we all live in a bad ’70s sci-fi movie, I am made to understand the tyranny of the machines every minute of every day.