15 Inspirational Quotes By Walter Gropius
Posted on Fri Feb 16, 2018 Posted by Admin
1. Together let us desire, conceive, and create the new structure of the future, which will embrace architecture and sculpture and painting in one unity and which will one day rise toward Heaven from the hands of a million workers like the crystal symbol of a new faith.
2. Architecture begins where engineering ends.
3. Architects, sculptors painters, we all must return to the crafts! For art is not a ‘profession.’ There is no essential difference between the artist and the craftsman. The artist is an exalted craftsman.
4. Good architecture should be a projection of life itself, and that implies an intimate knowledge of biological, social, technical, and artistic problems.
5. Proficiency in a craft is essential to every artist. Therein lies the prime source of creative imagination. Let us then create a new guild of craftsmen without the class distinctions that raise an arrogant barrier between craftsman and artist!
6. Under trees, the urban dweller might restore his troubled soul and find the blessing of a creative pause.
7. Our guiding principle was that design is neither an intellectual nor a material affair, but simply an integral part of the stuff of life, necessary for everyone in a civilized society.
8. Today the arts exist in isolation, from which they can be rescued only through the conscious, cooperative effort of all craftsmen. Architects, painters, and sculptors must recognize anew and learn to grasp the composite character of a building both as an entity and in its separate parts.
9. The fear that individuality will be crushed out by the growing ‘tyranny’ of standardization is the sort of myth which cannot withstand the briefest examination.
10. Capitalism and power politics have made our generation creatively sluggish, and our vital art is mired in a broad bourgeois philistinism.
11. If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.
12. The Bauhaus strives to bring together all creative effort into one whole, to reunify all the disciplines of practical art – sculpture, painting, handicrafts, and crafts – as inseparable components of a new architecture.
13. Only work which is the product of inner compulsion can have spiritual meaning.
14. Wherever I go I make others feel good, and by doing this, I create life. I am a sting, and a dangerous instrument!
15. The ultimate aim of all creative activity is the building!